Friday, February 8, 2013

The Test

On Saturday I went for allergy testing.  This has been something I have wanted to do for years.  I've known since I was a kid that I have allergies.  Over the years I've been able to pinpoint that I am allergic to most living things (other than humans): grass, plants, cats, some dogs, etc.  This was confirmed through my allergy testing, which was quite an ordeal! 

The process starts with not being allowed to take any allergy medication of any kind (Claratin, eye drops, inhaler, etc.) for 5 days before the testing.  I was familiar with the testing process and knew that I would be injected with several types of potential allergens and the reaction to the injection would determine my level of allergy to each item being tested.  After 14 injections (not even half way done), I started feeling dizzy and lightheaded.  I was not bothered by the shots, but have a history of passing out when it comes to needles, so I informed the nurse about how I was feeling.  She stopped to let the feeling pass.  Next thing I knew, I had passed out.  Seriously?  I've birthed 3 children.  One of them was 9 lbs 11 oz!  Another one was a c-section delivery.  But I pass out over some stupid little needles.  Give me a break!  So embarrassing!

I was given juice and crackers & transfered to a reclining position to finish the rest of my testing.  I was diagnosed as mildly and moderately allergic to several things, but I am severly allergic to grass.  As soon as I got in the car to drive home I started having a HORRIBLE reaction to the injections.  All of the skin on my body was terribly itchy.  My right eye swelled almost shut (I was wearing contacts, which made it even worse).  My throat became incredibly sore.  I could not stop sneezing and my nose was pouring -- I mean literally POURING -- snot.  (And, as a side note, I was driving Scott's car which had no tissues in it...AWESOME!)  The best part of the whole thing is, I couldn't take any allergy medication after the testing until the next morning.  Some of the injection sites were circled and I was supposed to watch for a delayed reaction, or swelling outside the circled area.  If I took allergy medication and I did have a delayed reaction, it wouldn't have been detected.  So I layed in bed and suffered through the rest of the day. 

They suggested I come in and do a grass panel to determine better exactly what kinds of grass I'm more or less allergic to.  This will help them better taylor make my allergy shots for me.  We'll see about that.  My understanding is I would not be able to take allergy medication 5 days prior to that and would probably not be able to take any after it's over until the next day for the delayed reaction thing.  We'll see about that.  While I'd like to finish this process and do it right -- it is only one day of my life afterall, there's another part of me that is not sure I need my allergy shots that taylor made for me if I have to go through that again.  I start allergy shots on Friday. 

I blog about this only because it is terribly ironic, as my sister-in-law pointed out, that I am so severly allergic to grass, and the name of my blog is The Tallest Blade Of Grass.  Too funny!       

No comments: